Saturday, February 05, 2011

Chef in Training?

Yesterday afternoon I decided to make cheese dip - snow days and junk food go hand-in-hand, right?  While I was working on the dip I decided to let Arden have a wisk figuring she couldn't do any damage to herself or the house so why not (which is all you worry about with a 15-month old!)?  Once she ran out of things to do with the wisk by herself I handed her a small colander.  It probably goes without saying but the girl hasn't seen us "wisk" something and I know she hasn't really used a bowl (she prefers to eat off of her high chair tray) so I had no idea where this would go but I turn around a few seconds later to find her using the wisk to "stir" what was in the bowl!  Genius right?  How did she know that you stir what is in a bowl? If I wasn't amazed enough then a few minutes later I was, she had put her goldfish in the bowl and was "wisking" her goldfish!  Maybe I just don't give her enough credit or maybe I don't give a 15-month old enough credit since I have never had one before but I was VERY impressed. On our next snow day I might even be brave enough to put water in the bowl!

I promise I did not stage this photo!

Her ingredients...Colored Goldfish!

Her student Izzy looks on...I think Izzy was just hoping a Goldfish would hop out of the bowl.

Arden: Maybe if I stir with the other end of the wisk it will make the Goldfish crumble to pieces.

Every chef has to try their creation!

Both hands in to get it really stirred up

Bite number two

Arden: It's finished!  I will take this with me!

I am going to go out on a limb and say she isn't going to be Martha Stewart, it just isn't in her genes, but I am very encouraged by her early cooking skills :)!